Today for our 14 Days of Valentines I am posting this yummy recipe for Salted Caramel Cupcakes! This recipe uses the same cupcake recipe but I experimented a little bit with the frosting. I found the consistancy was a little bit more creamy and a little less stiff than my traditional frosting, which had a lot to do with the addition of the cream! I also used caramel syrup instead of sauce for this recipe, which made it a little more creamy as well.
A person could do so much with this recipe. You could add pretzels on the top instead of caramel candies (which might be a little easier to eat too!) I am contemplating making these ones for the kids valentines day party, so I definatly would go with the pretzels instead of the caramel candies.
I especially love to use mini cupcake pans for cupcakes, especially if I am making them for the kids or for school! They are so cute, and kids love them! The Wilton 48 Cupcake pan is THE BEST! You can make your entire batch at once instead of having to make two different trips to the oven!
- Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened slightly
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 T vegetable oil
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 3/4 all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Buttercream Ingredients
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup salted caramel sauce, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk, room temperature
- caramel candies for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Boil 1 cup water on stovetop or microwave. Whisk in cocoa and vinegar until smooth. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, with a mixer, beat 1 stick butter for 5 minutes on high speed. Add the sugar and beat for another couple minutes. Add the oil and eggs, mixing well.
- Separately, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add to the previous mixture (sugar, eggs, oil, and butter) mix until combined thorougly.
- Fill lined cupcake tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Frosting Instructions
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Beat in 3 cups of powdered sugar on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in the caramel sauce, salt and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream. Add more if needed for a smooth frosting.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with a caramel candies